A mark to designate the boundary of land; any mark or fixed object (as a marked tree, a stone, a ditch, or a heap of stones) by which the limits of a farm, a town, or other portion of territory may be known and preserved.
- A prominent identifying feature of a landscape.
- A fixed marker, such as a concrete block, that indicates a boundary line.
- An event marking an important stage of development or a turning point in history.
- A building or site with historical significance, especially one marked for preservation by a municipal or national government.
- Having great import or significance: a landmark court ruling.
- To accord the status of a landmark to; declare to be a landmark.