Not visible or apparent; hidden; concealed; secret; dormant; as, latent springs of action.
- Present or potential but not evident or active: latent talent.
- Pathology In a dormant or hidden stage: a latent infection.
- Biology Undeveloped but capable of normal growth under the proper conditions: a latent bud.
- Psychology Present and accessible in the unconscious mind but not consciously expressed.
- A fingerprint that is not apparent to the eye but can be made sufficiently visible, as by dusting or fuming, for use in identification.