To throw, as a lance or dart; to hurl; to let fly.
- To throw or propel with force; hurl: launch a spear.
- To set or thrust (a self-propelled craft or projectile) in motion: launch a rocket; launch a torpedo.
- Nautical To put (a boat) into the water in readiness for use.
- To set going; initiate: launch a career; launch a business venture.
- To introduce to the public or to a market: launched the new perfume with prime-time commercials on the major networks.
- To give (someone) a start, as in a career or vocation.
- To begin a new venture or phase; embark: launch forth on a dangerous mission; launched out on her own after college.
- To enter enthusiastically into something; plunge: launched into a description of the movie.
- The act of launching.
- A large ship's boat.
- A large, open motorboat.