That which is appointed to be read; especially, a chronicle or register of the lives of saints, formerly read at matins, and in the refectories of religious houses.
- An unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical.
- A body or collection of such stories.
- A romanticized or popularized myth of modern times.
- One that inspires legends or achieves legendary fame.
- An inscription or a title on an object, such as a coin.
- An explanatory caption accompanying an illustration.
- An explanatory table or list of the symbols appearing on a map or chart.