- Not as great in amount or quantity: had less time to spend with the family.
- Lower in importance, esteem, or rank: no less a person than the ambassador.
- Consisting of a smaller number. See Usage Note at few.
- With the deduction of; minus: Five less two is three.
- To a smaller extent, degree, or frequency: less happy; less expensive.
- A smaller amount: She received less than she asked for.
- Something not as important as something else: People have been punished for less.
- less than Not at all: He had a less than favorable view of the matter.
- much Certainly not: I'm not blaming anyone, much less you.