Anything read or recited to a teacher by a pupil or learner; something, as a portion of a book, assigned to a pupil to be studied or learned at one time.
- Something to be learned: lessons from observing nature.
- A period of instruction; a class.
- An assignment or exercise in which something is to be learned.
- The act or an instance of instructing; teaching.
- An experience, example, or observation that imparts beneficial new knowledge or wisdom.
- The knowledge or wisdom so acquired.
- A rebuke or reprimand.
- A reading from the Bible or other sacred text as part of a religious service.
- To teach a lesson to; instruct.
- To rebuke or reprimand.