That which terminates, circumscribes, restrains, or confines; the bound, border, or edge; the utmost extent; as, the limit of a walk, of a town, of a country; the limits of human knowledge or endeavor.
- The point, edge, or line beyond which something cannot or may not proceed.
- The boundary surrounding a specific area; bounds: within the city limits.
- A confining or restricting object, agent, or influence.
- The greatest or least amount, number, or extent allowed or possible: a withdrawal limit of $200; no minimum age limit.
- Games The largest amount which may be bet at one time in games of chance.
- Mathematics A number or point L that is approached by a function f(x) as x approaches a if, for every positive number ε, there exists a number δ such that }f(x)-L} < ε if 0 < }x-a} < δ. Also called limit point, point of accumulation.
- Informal One that approaches or exceeds certain limits, as of credibility, forbearance, or acceptability: He is the limit of irresponsibility.
- To confine or restrict within a boundary or bounds.
- To fix definitely; to specify.