To determine by agreement or by litigation the precise amount of (indebtedness); or, where there is an indebtedness to more than one person, to determine the precise amount of (each indebtedness); to make the amount of (an indebtedness) clear and certain.
- To pay off (a debt, a claim, or an obligation); settle.
- To settle the affairs of (a business firm, for example) by determining the liabilities and applying the assets to their discharge.
- To convert (assets) into cash.
- To put an end to; abolish.
- To put to death; kill.
- To settle a debt, a claim, or an obligation.
- To settle the affairs of a business or an estate by disposing of its assets and liabilities. See Synonyms at eliminate.