See Loon, the bird.
- To come into view as a massive, distorted, or indistinct image: "I faced the icons that loomed through the veil of incense” ( Fergus M. Bordewich). See Synonyms at appear.
- To appear to the mind in a magnified and threatening form: "Stalin looms over the whole human tragedy of 1930-1933” ( Robert Conquest).
- To seem imminent; impend: Revolution loomed but the aristocrats paid no heed.
- A distorted, threatening appearance of something, as through fog or darkness.
- An apparatus for making thread or yarn into cloth by weaving strands together at right angles.
- To weave (a tapestry, for example) on a loom.