A hand or match at dice.
- Most important; principal. See Synonyms at chief.
- Exerted to the utmost; sheer: by main strength.
- Nautical Connected to or located near the mainmast: a main skysail.
- Grammar Of, relating to, or being the principal clause or verb of a complex sentence.
- Obsolete Of or relating to a continuous area or stretch, as of land or water.
- The chief or largest part: His ideas are, in the main, impractical.
- The principal pipe or conduit in a system for conveying water, gas, oil, or other utility.
- Physical strength: fought with might and main.
- A mainland.
- The open ocean.
- Nautical A mainsail.
- Nautical A mainmast.