The killing of a considerable number of human beings under circumstances of atrocity or cruelty, or contrary to the usages of civilized people; as, the massacre on St. Bartholomew's Day.
- The act or an instance of killing a large number of humans indiscriminately and cruelly.
- The slaughter of a large number of animals.
- Informal A severe defeat, as in a sports event.
- To kill indiscriminately and wantonly; slaughter.
- Informal To defeat decisively.
- Informal To botch; bungle: massacred the French language trying to order dinner.