The greatest quantity or value attainable in a given case; or, the greatest value attained by a quantity which first increases and then begins to decrease; the highest point or degree; -- opposed to minimum.
- The greatest possible quantity or degree.
- The greatest quantity or degree reached or recorded; the upper limit of variation.
- The time or period during which the highest point or degree is attained.
- An upper limit permitted by law or other authority.
- Astronomy The moment when a variable star is most brilliant.
- Astronomy The magnitude of the star at such a moment.
- Mathematics The greatest value assumed by a function over a given interval.
- Mathematics The largest number in a set.
- Having or being the greatest quantity or the highest degree that has been or can be attained: maximum temperature.
- Of, relating to, or making up a maximum: a maximum number in a series.