One who bears a message; the bearer of a verbal or written communication, notice, or invitation, from one person to another, or to a public body; specifically, an office servant who bears messages.
- One that carries messages or performs errands, as:
- A person employed to carry telegrams, letters, or parcels.
- A military or official courier.
- An envoy to another person, party, or government.
- A bearer of news.
- A forerunner; a harbinger: the crocus and other messengers of spring.
- A prophet: the messenger of Allah.
- Nautical A chain or rope used for hauling in a cable. Also called messenger line.
- To send by messenger.