To make a low prolonged sound of grief or pain, whether articulate or not; to groan softly and continuously.
- A low, sustained, mournful cry, usually indicative of sorrow or pain.
- A similar sound: the eerie moan of the night wind.
- To utter a moan or moans.
- To make a sound resembling a moan: A saxophone moaned in the background.
- To complain, lament, or grieve: an old man who still moans about his misspent youth.
- To bewail or bemoan: She moaned her misfortunes to anyone who would listen.
- To utter with moans or a moan.