The quality or state of being modal.
- The fact, state, or quality of being modal.
- A tendency to conform to a general pattern or belong to a particular group or category.
- Logic The classification of propositions on the basis of whether they assert or deny the possibility, impossibility, contingency, or necessity of their content. Also called mode.
- The ceremonial forms, protocols, or conditions that surround formal agreements or negotiations: "[He] grew so enthusiastic about our prospects that he began to speculate on the modalities of signing” ( Henry A. Kissinger).
- Medicine A therapeutic method or agent, such as surgery, chemotherapy, or electrotherapy, that involves the physical treatment of a disorder.
- Physiology Any of the various types of sensation, such as vision or hearing.