A single unvaried tone or sound.
- A succession of sounds or words uttered in a single tone of voice.
- Music A single tone repeated with different words or time values, especially in a rendering of a liturgical text.
- Music A chant in a single tone.
- Sameness or dull repetition in sound, style, manner, or color.
- Characterized by or uttered in a monotone: a monotone recitation of names.
- Of or having a single color: a cat with a monotone coat.
- Mathematics Designating sequences, the successive members of which either consistently increase or decrease but do not oscillate in relative value. Each member of a monotone increasing sequence is greater than or equal to the preceding member; each member of a monotone decreasing sequence is less than or equal to the preceding member.