A cavity cut into a piece of timber, or other material, to receive something (as the end of another piece) made to fit it, and called a tenon.
- A usually rectangular cavity in a piece of wood, stone, or other material, prepared to receive a tenon and thus form a joint.
- Printing A hole cut in a plate for insertion of type.
- To join or fasten securely, as with a mortise and tenon.
- To make a mortise in.
- Printing To cut a hole in (a plate) for the insertion of type.
- Printing To cut such a hole and insert (type).