A low, confused, and indistinct sound, like that of running water.
- A low, indistinct, continuous sound: spoke in a murmur; the murmur of the waves.
- An indistinct, whispered, or confidential complaint; a mutter.
- Medicine An abnormal sound, usually emanating from the heart, that sometimes indicates a diseased condition.
- To make a low, continuous, indistinct sound or succession of sounds.
- To complain in low mumbling tones; grumble.
- To say in a low indistinct voice; utter indistinctly: murmured his approval.