The science and the art of tones, or musical sounds, i. e., sounds of higher or lower pitch, begotten of uniform and synchronous vibrations, as of a string at various degrees of tension; the science of harmonical tones which treats of the principles of harmony, or the properties, dependences, and relations of tones to each other; the art of combining tones in a manner to please the ear.
- The art of arranging sounds in time so as to produce a continuous, unified, and evocative composition, as through melody, harmony, rhythm, and timbre.
- Vocal or instrumental sounds possessing a degree of melody, harmony, or rhythm.
- A musical composition.
- The written or printed score for such a composition.
- Such scores considered as a group: We keep our music in a stack near the piano.
- A musical accompaniment.
- A particular category or kind of music.
- An aesthetically pleasing or harmonious sound or combination of sounds: the music of the wind in the pines.