To cast off; to molt.
- Refraining from producing speech or vocal sound.
- Often Offensive Unable to speak.
- Unable to vocalize, as certain animals.
- Expressed without speech; unspoken: a mute appeal.
- Law Refusing to plead when under arraignment.
- Linguistics Not pronounced; silent, as the e in the word house.
- Linguistics Pronounced with a temporary stoppage of breath, as the sounds (p) and (b); plosive; stopped.
- Often Offensive One who is incapable of speech.
- Law A defendant who refuses to plead when under arraignment.
- Music Any of various devices used to muffle or soften the tone of an instrument.
- Linguistics A silent letter.
- Linguistics A plosive; a stop.
- To soften or muffle the sound of.
- To soften the tone, color, shade, or hue of.