the horny scale of plate of epidermis at the end of the fingers and toes of man and many apes.
- A slim, pointed piece of metal hammered into material as a fastener.
- A fingernail or toenail.
- A claw or talon.
- Something resembling a nail in shape, sharpness, or use.
- A measure of length formerly used for cloth, equal to 1/16 yard (5.7 centimeters).
- To fasten, join, or attach with or as if with a nail.
- To cover, enclose, or shut by fastening with nails: nail up a window.
- To keep fixed, motionless, or intent: Fear nailed me to my seat.
- Slang To stop and seize; catch: Police nailed the suspect.
- Slang To detect and expose: nailed the senator in a lie; nail corruption before it gets out of control.
- Slang To strike or bring down: nail a bird in flight; nail a running back.
- Slang To perform successfully or have noteworthy success in: nailed the dive; nailed the exam.
- Baseball To put out (a base runner).
- nail down To discover or establish conclusively: nailed down the story by checking all the facts.
- nail down To win: nailed down another victory in the golf tournament.
- nail down To specify or fix: We were finally able to nail down a meeting time.