Having the properties of a narcotic; operating as a narcotic.
- An addictive drug, such as opium, that reduces pain, alters mood and behavior, and usually induces sleep or stupor. Natural and synthetic narcotics are used in medicine to control pain.
- A soothing, numbing agent or thing: "There was the blessed narcotic of bridge, at the Colony or at the home of friends” ( Louis Auchincloss).
- Inducing sleep or stupor; causing narcosis.
- Of or relating to narcotics, their effects, or their use.
- Of, relating to, or intended for one addicted to a narcotic.