To transact business; to carry on trade.
- To confer with another or others in order to come to terms or reach an agreement: "It is difficult to negotiate where neither will trust” ( Samuel Johnson).
- To arrange or settle by discussion and mutual agreement: negotiate a contract.
- To transfer title to or ownership of (a promissory note, for example) to another party by delivery or by delivery and endorsement in return for value received.
- To sell or discount (assets or securities, for example).
- To succeed in going over or coping with: negotiate a sharp curve.
- To succeed in accomplishing or managing: negotiate a difficult musical passage.