A cavity, hollow, or recess, generally within the thickness of a wall, for a statue, bust, or other erect ornament. hence, any similar position, literal or figurative.
- A recess in a wall, as for holding a statue or urn.
- A cranny, hollow, or crevice, as in rock.
- A situation or activity specially suited to a person's interests, abilities, or nature: found her niche in life.
- A special area of demand for a product or service: "One niche that is approaching mass-market proportions is held by regional magazines” ( Brad Edmondson).
- Ecology The function or position of an organism or population within an ecological community.
- Ecology The particular area within a habitat occupied by an organism.
- To place in a niche.