An evil spirit of the waters.
- A shallow notch, cut, or indentation on an edge or a surface: nicks in the table; razor nicks on his chin.
- Chiefly British Slang A prison or police station.
- Printing A groove down the side of a piece of type used to ensure that it is correctly placed.
- To cut a nick or notch in.
- To cut into and wound slightly: A sliver of glass nicked my hand.
- To cut short; check: nicked an impulse to flee.
- Slang To cheat, especially by overcharging.
- Chiefly British Slang To steal.
- Chiefly British Slang To arrest.
- in the nick of time Just at the critical moment; just in time.