To bend or incline the upper part, with a quick motion; as, nodding plumes.
- To lower and raise the head quickly, as in agreement or acknowledgment.
- To let the head fall forward when sleepy.
- To be careless or momentarily inattentive as if sleepy; lapse: Even Homer nods.
- To sway, move up and down, or droop, as flowers in the wind.
- To lower and raise (the head) quickly in agreement or acknowledgment.
- To express by lowering and raising the head: nod one's agreement.
- To summon, guide, or send by nodding the head: She nodded us into the room.
- A forward or up-and-down movement of the head, usually expressive of drowsiness or agreement: a nod of affirmation.
- An indication of approval or assent: The contestant got the nod from the judges.
- nod off To doze momentarily: nodded off during the lecture.
- nod out Slang To fall asleep, especially as a result of taking a drug.