Not anything; no thing (in the widest sense of the word thing); -- opposed to anything and something.
- No thing; not anything: The box contained nothing. I've heard nothing about it.
- No part; no portion: Nothing remains of the old house but the cellar hole.
- One of no consequence, significance, or interest: The new nonsmoking policy is nothing to me.
- Something that has no existence.
- Something that has no quantitative value; zero: a score of two to nothing.
- One that has no substance or importance; a nonentity: "A nothing is a dreadful thing to hold onto” ( Edna O'Brien).
- Insignificant or worthless: "the utterly nothing role of a wealthy suitor” ( Bosley Crowther).
- In no way or degree; not at all: She looks nothing like her sister.
- for nothing Free of charge.
- for nothing To no avail: all that trouble for nothing.
- for nothing For no reason: fired him for nothing.
- in nothing flat In very little time; very quickly.
- nothing doing Informal Certainly not.