Intellect; understanding; talent; -- used humorously.
- Philosophy Reason and knowledge as opposed to sense perception.
- Philosophy The rational part of the individual human soul.
- Philosophy The principle of the cosmic mind or soul responsible for the rational order of the cosmos.
- Philosophy In Stoicism, the equivalent of Logos.
- Philosophy In Neo-Platonism, the image of the absolute good, containing the cosmos of intelligible beings.
- Chiefly British Good sense; shrewdness: "Hillela had the nous to take up with the General when he was on the up-and-up again” ( Nadine Gordimer).