A falling out, happening, or coming to pass; hence, that which falls out or happens; occurrence; incident.
- An event or happening; an incident.
- The time at which an event occurs.
- A significant event.
- A favorable or appropriate time or juncture; an opportunity. See Synonyms at opportunity.
- Something that brings on or precipitates an action, condition, or event, especially the immediate cause. See Synonyms at cause.
- Something that provides a reason or justification; a ground.
- A need created by a particular circumstance: "He must buy what he has little occasion for” ( Laurence Sterne).
- A large or important social gathering.
- Archaic Personal requirements or necessities.
- To provide occasion for; cause: "The year's annual reports occasion an especially revealing glimpse of how corporations lend . . . embellishment to the stark numbers of the comptroller's office” ( Mark Muro).
- on occasion From time to time; now and then.