To shut up; to close.
- To cause to become closed; obstruct: occlude an artery.
- To prevent the passage of: occlude light; occlude the flow of blood.
- Chemistry To absorb or adsorb and retain (a substance).
- Meteorology To force (air) upward from the earth's surface, as when a cold front overtakes and undercuts a warm front.
- Dentistry To bring together (the upper and lower teeth) in proper alignment for chewing.
- Dentistry To close so that the cusps fit together. Used of the teeth of the upper and lower jaws.