To act as an officer in performing a duty; to transact the business of an office or public trust; to conduct a public service.
- To perform the duties and functions of an office or a position of authority.
- To serve as an officiant.
- Sports To serve as a referee or umpire.
- Usage Problem To perform from a position of authority (an official duty or function).
- Usage Problem To serve as an officiant at (a ceremony): officiated the wedding ceremony.
- Usage Problem To serve as a referee or umpire at (a game): officiated the hockey game.