Any spar or projecting timber run out for temporary use, as from a ship's mast, to hold a rope or a sail extended, or from a building, to support hoisting teckle.
- Nautical A projecting beam or spar run out from the side of a vessel to help in securing the masts or from a mast to be used in extending a rope or sail.
- Nautical A long thin float attached parallel to a seagoing canoe by projecting spars as a means of preventing it from capsizing.
- Nautical A vessel fitted with such a float or beam.
- Nautical A support for an oarlock projecting from the side of a racing shell.
- Nautical A racing shell fitted with such a support.
- A projecting frame extending laterally beyond the main structure of a vehicle, aircraft, or machine to stabilize the structure or support an extending part.