To lay, or spread, something over or across; hence, to cover; to overwhelm; to press excessively upon.
- To lay or spread over or on.
- To cover the surface of with a decorative layer or design: overlay wood with silver.
- To embellish superficially: a simple tune that was overlaid with ornate harmonies.
- Printing To put an overlay on.
- To create (a new area code) having the same boundaries as another: In Maryland, area code 240 was overlaid on top of area code 301.
- Something that is laid over or covers something else.
- A layer of decoration, such as gold leaf or wood veneer, applied to a surface.
- Printing A piece of paper used on a press tympan to vary the pressure that produces light and dark tones.
- A transparent sheet containing graphic matter, such as labels or colored areas, placed on illustrative matter to be incorporated into it.
- An area code whose boundaries are the same as another area code.
- Past tense of overlie.