To cover with coloring matter; to apply paint to; as, to paint a house, a signboard, etc.
- A liquid mixture, usually of a solid pigment in a liquid vehicle, used as a decorative or protective coating.
- The thin dry film formed by such a mixture when applied to a surface.
- The solid pigment before it is mixed with a vehicle.
- A cosmetic, such as rouge, that is used to give color to the face; makeup.
- See pinto.
- To make (a picture) with paints.
- To represent in a picture with paints.
- To depict vividly in words.
- To coat or decorate with paint: paint a house.
- To apply cosmetics to.
- To apply medicine to; swab: paint a wound.
- To shine a laser beam on, especially in order to designate a target for laser-guided munitions.
- To practice the art of painting pictures.
- To cover something with paint.
- To apply cosmetics to oneself: "Let her paint an inch thick, to this favor she must come” ( Shakespeare).
- To serve as a surface to be coated with paint: These nonporous surfaces paint badly with a brush.
- paint the town red Slang To go on a spree.