A small and mean bed; a bed of straw.
- A projection on a machine part, such as a pawl for controlling the motion of a ratchet wheel in a watch escapement, that engages the teeth of a ratchet wheel to convert reciprocating motion to rotary motion or vice versa.
- A wooden, shovellike potter's tool used for mixing and shaping clay.
- A metal tool used for printing on book bindings.
- A fine brush used for taking up and applying gold leaf.
- A portable platform used for storing or moving cargo or freight.
- A painter's palette.
- A narrow hard bed or straw-filled mattress.
- Chiefly Southern U.S. A temporary bed made from bedding arranged on the floor, especially for a child.