One who begets, or brings forth, offspring; a father or a mother.
- One who begets, gives birth to, or nurtures and raises a child; a father or mother.
- An ancestor; a progenitor.
- An organism that produces or generates offspring.
- A guardian; a protector.
- A parent company.
- A source or cause; an origin: Despair is the parent of rebellion.
- To act as a parent to; raise and nurture: "A genitor who does not parent the child is not its parent” ( Ashley Montagu).
- To cause to come into existence; originate.
- To act as a parent.