One who has a part in anything with an other; a partaker; an associate; a sharer. "Partner of his fortune." Shak. Hence:
- One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially:
- A member of a business partnership.
- A spouse.
- A domestic partner. See Usage Note at domestic partner.
- Either of two persons dancing together.
- One of a pair or team in a sport or game, such as tennis or bridge.
- Nautical A wooden framework used to strengthen a ship's deck at the point where a mast or other structure passes through it. Often used in the plural.
- To make a partner of.
- To bring together as partners.
- To be the partner of.
- To work or perform as a partner or partners.