The act of one who, or that which, passes; the act of going by or away.
- Moving by; going past: The child waved to the passing cars.
- Of brief duration; transitory: a passing fancy.
- Cursory or superficial; casual: a passing glance.
- Allowing one to pass a test, course of study, inspection, or examination; satisfactory: a passing grade.
- Archaic Very or great; surpassing: "'Tis a passing shame” ( Shakespeare).
- Very; surpassingly: "I will mention only one particular aspect of the current mess because ... this one is surely something new and passing strange” ( Walker Percy).
- The act of one that passes or the fact of having passed: the passing of another summer.
- A place where or a means by which one can pass.
- in passing While going by; incidentally.