Having the quality of enduring; physically able to suffer or bear.
- Bearing or enduring pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance with calmness.
- Marked by or exhibiting calm endurance of pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance.
- Tolerant; understanding: an unfailingly patient leader and guide.
- Persevering; constant: With patient industry, she revived the failing business and made it thrive.
- Capable of calmly awaiting an outcome or result; not hasty or impulsive.
- Capable of bearing or enduring pain, difficulty, provocation, or annoyance: "My uncle Toby was a man patient of injuries” ( Laurence Sterne).
- One who receives medical attention, care, or treatment.
- Linguistics A noun or noun phrase identifying one that is acted upon or undergoes an action. Also called goal.
- Archaic One who suffers.