To strike with a quick succession of slight, sharp sounds; as, pattering rain or hail; pattering feet.
- To make a quick succession of light soft tapping sounds: Rain pattered steadily against the glass.
- To move with quick, light, softly audible steps.
- To cause to patter.
- A quick succession of light soft tapping sounds: the patter of rain on the rooftops.
- To speak or chatter glibly and rapidly.
- To mumble prayers in a mechanical manner.
- To utter in a glib, rapid, or mechanical manner.
- The jargon of a particular group; cant.
- Glib rapid speech, as of an auctioneer, salesperson, or comedian.
- Meaningless talk; chatter.