A temporary stop or rest; an intermission of action; interruption; suspension; cessation.
- To cease or suspend an action temporarily.
- To linger; tarry: paused for a while under the huge oak tree.
- To hesitate: He paused before replying.
- To cease or suspend the action of temporarily; stop for an interim: "Once a movie [ordered on demand] begins, it can be paused but not rewound or fast-forwarded” ( George Judson).
- A temporary cessation.
- A delay or suspended reaction, as from uncertainty; a hesitation: After a pause the audience broke into cheers.
- A break, stop, or rest, often for a calculated purpose or effect: After a dramatic pause, the lawyer finished her summation.
- Music A sign indicating that a note or rest is to be held.
- A break or rest in a line of poetry; a caesura.
- Reason for hesitation: The immensity of the task gives one pause.