The fruit of a trailing leguminous plant (Arachis hypogæa); also, the plant itself, which is widely cultivated for its fruit.
- A prostrate southern Brazilian plant (Arachis hypogaea) widely cultivated in tropical and warm temperate regions, having yellow flowers on stalks that bend over so that the seed pods ripen underground.
- The edible, nutlike, oily seed of this plant, used for food and as a source of oil. Also called regionally goober, goober pea.
- A peanut-shaped piece of polystyrene, used in cushioning items during shipment.
- Slang A person small in stature.
- Slang A person who is regarded as being insignificant.
- Informal A very small amount of money; a trifling sum.
- Slang Having little or no importance; insignificant: peanut politicians.