Relating to penance, or to the rules and measures of penance.
- A prison for those convicted of major crimes.
- Roman Catholic Church A tribunal of the Roman Curia having jurisdiction in matters relating to penance, dispensations, and papal absolutions.
- Roman Catholic Church A priest whose special function is the administration of the sacrament of penance in a particular church or diocese.
- Of or for the purpose of penance; penitential.
- Relating to or used for punishment or reform of criminals or wrongdoers.
- Resulting in or punishable by imprisonment in a penitentiary: a penitentiary offense.