To consent to; to allow or suffer to be done; to tolerate; to put up with.
- To allow the doing of (something); consent to: permit the sale of alcoholic beverages.
- To grant consent or leave to (someone); authorize: permitted him to explain.
- To afford opportunity or possibility for: weather that permits sailing.
- To afford opportunity; allow: if circumstances permit.
- Permission, especially in written form.
- A document or certificate giving permission to do something; a license or warrant: a building permit.