Exactly upright or vertical; pointing to the zenith; at right angles to the plane of the horizon; extending in a right line from any point toward the center of the earth.
- Mathematics Intersecting at or forming right angles.
- Being at right angles to the horizontal; vertical. See Synonyms at vertical.
- Of or relating to a style of English Gothic architecture of the 14th and 15th centuries, characterized by emphasis of the vertical element.
- In a perpendicular position.
- Mathematics A line or plane perpendicular to a given line or plane.
- A perpendicular position.
- A device, such as a plumb line, used in marking the vertical from a given point.
- A vertical or nearly vertical line or plane.