A soldier detailed or employed to form roads, dig trenches, and make bridges, as an army advances.
- One who ventures into unknown or unclaimed territory to settle.
- One who opens up new areas of thought, research, or development: a pioneer in aviation.
- A soldier who performs construction and demolition work in the field to facilitate troop movements.
- Ecology An animal or plant species that establishes itself in a previously barren environment.
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of early settlers: the pioneer spirit.
- Leading the way; trailblazing: a pioneer treatment for cancer.
- To open up (an area) or prepare (a way): rockets that pioneered outer space.
- To settle (a region).
- To initiate or participate in the development of: surgeons who pioneered organ transplants.
- To act as a pioneer: pioneered in development of the laser.