Any agent which, when introduced into the animal organism, is capable of producing a morbid, noxious, or deadly effect upon it; as, morphine is a deadly poison; the poison of pestilential diseases.
- A substance that causes injury, illness, or death, especially by chemical means.
- Something destructive or fatal.
- Chemistry & Physics A substance that inhibits another substance or a reaction: a catalyst poison.
- To kill or harm with poison.
- To put poison on or into: poisoning arrows; poisoned the drink.
- To pollute: Noxious fumes poison the air. See Synonyms at contaminate.
- To have a harmful influence on; corrupt: Jealousy poisoned their friendship.
- Chemistry & Physics To inhibit (a substance or reaction).