Being potent; endowed with energy adequate to a result; efficacious; influential.
- Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential problem.
- Having possibility, capability, or power.
- Grammar Of, relating to, or being a verbal construction with auxiliaries such as may or can; for example, it may snow.
- The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.
- Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.
- Grammar A potential verb form.
- Physics The work required to move a unit of positive charge, a magnetic pole, or an amount of mass from a reference point to a designated point in a static electric, magnetic, or gravitational field; potential energy.
- See potential difference.