- Of, relating to, or characteristic of preemption.
- Having or granted by the right of preemption.
- Relating to or constituting a military strike made so as to gain the advantage when an enemy strike is believed to be imminent: a preemptive nuclear attack.
- Undertaken or initiated to deter or prevent an anticipated, usually unpleasant situation or occurrence: The two companies organized a preemptive alliance against a possible takeover by another firm.
- Having or marked by the power to preempt or take precedence: a preemptive business offer; preemptive authority.
- Games Relating to or being a bid in bridge at a high level that is intended to interfere with the opponents' bidding.