- Informal Preparatory: a college prep course; did extensive prep work for the interview.
- Informal A preparatory school.
- Informal Preparation: Daily practices are the best prep for the upcoming track meet.
- Chiefly British The preparing of lessons; homework.
- Informal A preppie.
- To be enrolled in and attend a preparatory school.
- To study or train in preparation for something.
- To prepare (someone) for a medical examination or surgical procedure.
- To prepare or prime: prep a surface for painting.